Photo

[FEEDBACK] PVP-BASIC March 19th/20th @1900

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Corywyn

Corywyn

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Classday
Really looking forward to feedback, was the first time for me to run a class as lead instructor and Aelana's first time doing any part of the teaching
So please let us know what was good, what was bad. We're always trying to improve.

Roam
Didn't really get many targets, killed a ratter (nice tackle btw!) and a Pilgrim down in Catch. Then had to run away from a lot of [-A-] guys who were just too heavy and I wasn't ready to kill us all that early, in hindsight I should have just gotten us blown up there :P
Then got bombed - lost a few who broke cloak early.

Got a Drake and Cane when we ran around in Curse towards the end.

Nice job by the skirmishers, especially Gavin - I'll be happy to have you as a Skirmisher again in the future :)
I know I was a bit tough on the Scouts because I moved us a bit fast at times (especially while evading that -A- gang and on our way to 9UY) but you all adapted nicely and weren't overwhelmed.

Closed the class with a free4all so everybody had a chance to die :)

#2 snoldier

snoldier
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

i enjoyed myself, and always keen to learn. just a pity there wasn't much targets around, but that cant be helped sometimes. if that was your first class, its a thumbs up from me. ps. a practical runthrough on scanning someone down may have been helpful

#3 Zoddd

Zoddd
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:04 AM

I thought the course was very valuable. I had been to similar lecture sections before but this one was the most organized. The material covered and the instructors are top notch, I will be sending other pilots from my Corp through this training in the future. The roam afterwards was fun, wish it could have been more eventful, BUT, there were a couple of very valuable lessons learned with Fleet Commands and fleet travel that was good to see result, live, when pilots fail to follow them. I will be back for more, thanks Agony!! Zoddd

#4 Gavin

Gavin

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:10 AM

ps. a practical runthrough on scanning someone down may have been helpful

This gets covered in more detail in later courses. The covert ops course devotes a large amount of time to it, and the skirmish course covers certain specialized applications.
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

BASIC 20100702 <|> WOLFPACKS 20100828 <|> ADVANCED 20110102

COVOPS 1909101800 <|> SKIRMISH - 20110129

#5 AkJon Ferguson

AkJon Ferguson

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

Great comms. I loved it when Cor said basically 'Voice comms is for me and my scouts/skirmishers.' It was so nice to not have to strain to hear the FC talking over some blankety blank. There were still a few j-words and people who insisted on telling us their life story instead of 'friendly out' but mostly it was pure win. Great decloak on the pilgrim. Poor bugger. Bad luck on the lack of prey. Not surprisingly I was delighted by the non-suicide path we chose, but I'm sure others disagree with me there. Great 'coaching' by Cor during the breaks. Lessons learned, what happened, why certain decisions were made, etc. That was great stuff. The furball at the end was more fun than I thought it would be. I considered some cheesy kite build but decided that life was too short and pulled off the artillery, strapped on the autocannons and a tank and went to town. Good fun. Looking forward to the t1 cruiser roam next weekend. Hope I still remember how to push f1 and f2 when I'm 40.
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/9285-closed-pvp-basic-20-21-feb-1800/]BASIC-20100220[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11350-open-pvp-avanced-hssr-2300-15th-advanced-2100-for-16th-17th-july/]ADVANCED HSSR -1807102100[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/11588-closed-pvp-wolfpacks-class-august-2829-1800/]WOLFPACKS-201008281800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/12728-fullpvp-covops-nov-28-1800-venue-changeread/]COVOPS - 281101800[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13477-closed-pvp-skirmish-prototype-class-29th-30th-january-1300/]SKIRMISH-20110129[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/13315-closed-pvp-flybys-february-12th-1800/]FLYBYS-20110212[/link]
[link=http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?/topic/16195-closed-stealth-bombers-20111119-2000/]Stealth Bombers 20111119[/link]
Posted Image

#6 Spyker

Spyker
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Gate Cloak invulnerability from bombs was not explained before so some people learnt about that the hard way. But asides that it was great, well structured and organised as ever. Oh and Azual when are the Wolfpacks going to be :P

#7 Maudite 9

Maudite 9

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Always a pleasure to fly with Agony. For the voice comms alone if nothing else! For the class part, great first time teaching by Cory and AA. You might want to think about one thing though - and really this goes for all Agony classes that I've been a part of. There's a tendancy to spend a fair amount of time reiterating the written material. I would like to see more time teaching it through practical work. I'm sure that is a fine line for an instructor.....spend too little time going over the basics first and some students (who may not have studied it as much as they should have) will be left behind. Spend too much time on it and time has been wasted. My personal opinion is that since students are told beforehand to study the written material, they should be up to speed enough for that the Agony instructors to spend a little less time repeating it. The furball at the end of the roam was fun. The best thing to do under the circumstances. Cheers, Maudite
"Across the fields the wagon swept; its cargo bounced and rolled and lept; the Gnome atop, his brow a-sweat, prayed to Heaven his mead had kept."

#8 Kaeda Maxwell

Kaeda Maxwell

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Shame about the lack of targets on the roam, but oh well that happens. Otherwise you should really just tell people to bring an extra frigate and always do a massive shout-out as an extra even if there are targets :) It's so much fun! (Or perhaps do it at the end of the class on day 1? So people can have some actual pew and learn some calm in the midst of whizzing bullets and lazors firing after 4-5 hours of talk? ;) ) And since I've been on wolfpack's when's the next Advanced? :P

BASIC-20101226 (Kohana Maxwell)
WOLFPACKS-20101228 (Kohana Maxwell)
I R HAZ BLOG; http://kaedamaxwell.blogspot.com/

Posted Image

#9 Babylon Black

Babylon Black
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

It was a blast, and you guys were great teachers. I came away with new facts and experiences, including being amazed how effective an all-frigate fleet was. The furball at the end was definitely a blast as well, and I'm only sorry I ran out of ammo lol (I'd pulled most of my ammo off in the station to avoid being a juicy killmail as I KNEW I was going to die ... of course I didn't as a result :lol: ). The fleet comms were a balm on my ears after some of my other recent fleets; and as we got to hear the recon reports it kept us from getting bored and it felt like we were 'in the loop' with info on exactly what we were doing and when and why. Excellent!

#10 Yamir Ke'Shark

Yamir Ke'Shark

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:42 AM

Let's start with the good bits: - The furball at the end was fun, great leadership and being the second on the list for calling primaries and being the first to get primaried.. eep.. but bouncing thrice to come back to the fray helped immensely. - Learned a slightly different way of dealing with intel/recon info, not bad and it seemed to work but it does require better voice discipline than what's around on most fleets I've seen (also seemed a bit long-winded actually). - Amazed at the patience and restraint employed by the Agony members assisting and teaching It showed during the roam that the FC knew his way around the area well and was aware of the location and it's surrounds. Awesome. Criticism: - Probably need to find a better way of teaching the Combat Mechanics such as tracking, missiles, transversal, angular velocity, etc. It was a tad.. monotonous (but then that's from someone who already understood the material). Final note: - The class had suggested reading material for prep work, the amount of people out of such a small class that were unable to follow such simple clear and concise instructions struck me as.. well.. huge compared to the size of the class. Any further comments I'll leave for a PM to the Teacher since they would be too much to post here and not be constructive.
--
Posted Image

#11 Saraell Tellon

Saraell Tellon
  • Pip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:49 AM

Heh, I really enjoyed it. The instructors were very interesting, both on the theoretical and practical sides. Unfortunately I couldn't put the theory into practice (other than the manouvering) due to real life interfering with the Roam on the second day, but I have no doubt that I'll get a chance to use my newfound knowledge soon! My only complaint, and it's a minor one at that, was that the instructors sometimes took quite a while to explain something that could have been said much quicker and clearer. It wasn't hard to understand at all, made even easier by having the relevant wiki pages open as they're running through them. The slight lack of clarity/conciseness is most likely due to it being Corywyn's first time as a lead instructor, and Aelana's first time altogether, so I don't blame them at all :P . For their respective first times, however, they did brilliantly! Kudos to the instructors for doing this for us at no benefit to yourselves, I'm just sorry I didn't have much more ISK to tip! :lol: You can be certain I'll be attending the next BASIC roam if it's on a day I can make, and I'll be signing up to a Wolfpacks class as soon as I can!

#12 Djevick

Djevick
  • Pip

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

I thought it was an excellent course both well run and informative. I was very impressed with the comms and thought the FC directions both clear and informative. The scouting reports was also an eye opener. I thought the general comms and fleet discipline was good and those that got wiped by the bomber learnt a valuable lesson in why you follow standard procedures. The course content was good and concise in my opinion. Even though there weren't many targets I think the roam was a valuable lesson in how to run a small fleet looking for targets. All in all an enjoyable and thought provoking experience definitley be back for more. Djevik

#13 Razires

Razires

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the good class Corwyn. I thought that the theory part of the class was very comprehensive. However, I had read through a lot of the Agony wiki in advance of the class and so to some extent I think that if its a requirement to do so perhaps there could be more of a practical session on the class day. As for targets to shoot, we may have done well to travel for a few jumps or to change our location before roaming. Almost feels as if they knew we were coming (and I would not be surprised). The op went very smooth though, and the shoot up at the end was pretty epic :-) Thanks again for the good class & hope to see you around in the near future! - Raz
[BASIC-20110319|ROAM-20110327|PVP-ADVANCED-20110515]
qui tacet consentire videtur ubi loqui debuit ac potuit