Photo

Comp closed and winners listed.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#26 Vora

Vora

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

For the pure skirmish business I would fit the Firetail like that (my 71mio SP, no implants or boosters): [Republic Fleet Firetail, Skirmish] Overdrive Injector System II Damage Control II Nanofiber Internal Structure II Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters Warp Disruptor II Medium Shield Extender II Micro Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 50 125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Barrage S Rocket Launcher II, Defender I Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I Small Ionic Field Projector I Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I Small Ancillary Current Router I Stats: Speed: 4417 m/s, overheated 6304 m/s Cap: stable at 35% with cap boosters 50 Tank: 5280 EHP Resists: Shield 12.5/30/47.5/56.3 Armor 66/44.8/36.3/23.5 EWAR: point to 24 km, overheated 28.8 km Targeting range: 46.88 km Sig radius: 252 m (oh well...not really a ceptor) Agility: 3.8 s High slots: purely defensive outfit, best tracking AC against drones, defender against missiles, scan probes for deep sanctums and havens Mid slots: best named MWD, shield, point, cap stabilizing Low slots: DCII, speed+agility mods Rigs: targeting range, speed, energy As I wrote, purely for skirmish -> tackle and survive at 20+ km orbit. I do outfit my regular Ares with this dogma in mind.

#27 Freerunner

Freerunner

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Don't forget: The TD, in addition to disrupting tracking, can also disrupt optimal range/falloff. Using the previously discussed fit, the only guns that could track me would be small ACs. Using a roughly 10k to 12k orbit and with the TD on, I'm pretty sure I cut their range/falloff by enough to put me in the second falloff interval. So I'll be moving fast, in point range, with tracking disruption and reduced falloff/optimal affecting my target. I think it might also be useful for warding off scrams for the same reason (one of the guys in wolfpacks roam did this to great effect). Some more the-o-riz-in'

#28 Othran

Othran

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

Its probably not relevant but my personal preference for Minmatar frigates is to armour tank them. That is my instinctive reaction - slap a plate/SAR on and see what happens to align times etc. Then take a decision as to whether the ship has enough midslots to support shield tanking. The very last thing you want clinging onto you with a nos/scram is a minnie armour repping frigate. You simply won't get rid of it. Trivial factoid - a Claw with a 200mm plate is faster than a Taranis when you get to scram range. It will in fact eat the ranis alive unless the ranis has a web as it can dictate range and tank/kill the drones. I like to see people thinking differently. I remember someone told me in 2004 that 1600 plate and small guns on a Thorax was utter fail - turned out to be FoTM (flavour of the month) for a long long time.
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#29 Vora

Vora

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

For the pure skirmish business I would fit the Firetail like that (my 71mio SP, no implants or boosters):

[Republic Fleet Firetail, Skirmish]
Overdrive Injector System II
Damage Control II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters
Warp Disruptor II
Medium Shield Extender II
Micro Capacitor Booster II, Cap Booster 50

125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Barrage S
Rocket Launcher II, Defender I
Core Probe Launcher I, Core Scanner Probe I

Small Ionic Field Projector I
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Small Ancillary Current Router I

Stats:
Speed: 4417 m/s, overheated 6304 m/s
Cap: stable at 35% with cap boosters 50
Tank: 5280 EHP
Resists: Shield 12.5/30/47.5/56.3 Armor 66/44.8/36.3/23.5
EWAR: point to 24 km, overheated 28.8 km
Targeting range: 46.88 km
Sig radius: 252 m (oh well...not really a ceptor)
Agility: 3.8 s

High slots: purely defensive outfit, best tracking AC against drones, defender against missiles, scan probes for deep sanctums and havens
Mid slots: best named MWD, shield, point, cap stabilizing
Low slots: DCII, speed+agility mods
Rigs: targeting range, speed, energy

As I wrote, purely for skirmish -> tackle and survive at 20+ km orbit.
I do outfit my regular Ares with this dogma in mind.

Quoting myself shamelessly because I have forgotten to answer one of Caldak's original questions concerning tracking.
If I have calculated correctly this fitting should get me an angular rate of ca. 0.2 rad/s at 20 km (no overheat), which makes it a speed tank as intended.
Medium turrets have either too slow tracking speeds or too small ranges, so the big sig should not be a problem when in orbit.
My regular Ares has comparable speed/agility numbers and AFAIK I was never hit by a turret when orbiting a prey. Tracking computers don't seem to be very widespread.

#30 Othran

Othran

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

OK Kalar Freno has won Othran's side of the competition as he's the only PvP-Basic student to take part. I liked your reasoning and with the old bonuses you'd have been right on the money. I also liked the fact you decided the good shield fits were mainly gone and there's no point in flogging a dead horse.

You will receive an evemail from my trade alt who lives in Jita. That will be your point of contact, not Othran.

Evemail her your shopping list and she will evemail you when the contract is up. Do note that if you are buying items only available on contract then you need to link the contract. Also if the contract for the faction item is gone then the item won't be bought, I'm not searching contracts for you ;) If that does happen then you can get back to me with another link/item for the same value.

I don't mind if you want to do this in several parts - eg grab a ship/fittings for the 8th and sort the rest later. Just remember Othran is not your point of contact, the trade alt is. Othran isn't allowed to carry 50mill as he spends it on stuff that blows up :D You can copy the evemail to him though as I only logon to trade alt a couple of times a week.

Well done for putting your head above the padestroyt :)
Today's word is :

MORAL, adj. Conforming to a local and mutable standard of right. Having the quality of general expediency.

#31 Marvin

Marvin

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

This was an interesting one to build.

Firstly my understanding of Skirmisher is a forward 'combat-tackler'. Meaning he works on his own 2-3j out from the main fleet and should be able to get initial tackle with the ability to survive till the main fleet arrives. As such whichever you engage you should be able to survive for at least a minute and it could be up to 5 minutes.

[Republic Fleet Firetail, Comp]
Damage Control II
Small Armor Repairer II
Overdrive Injector System II

1MN Afterburner II
1MN MicroWarpdrive II
Warp Scrambler II
'Distributor' Tracking Disruptor I, Tracking Speed Disruption

Rocket Launcher II, Caldari Navy Foxfire Rocket
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S

[empty rig slot]
Small Projectile Ambit Extension I
Small Projectile Burst Aerator I

All lvl V stats:
EHP: 3876 (1147 armour EHP)
MWD: 3959 m/s (5650/s Overheated)
AB: 1490 m/s (1946m/s Overheated)
DPS: 137 (10k Rockets, 0.7+6.3 Autocannons)
Cap Stable at 73% without AB running and no repper.
AB + Repper you have 33s of cap.

The primary idea is to speed tank at 6.5-7km this would give you an angular velocity of 0.229 which will allow you to stay under the tracking of all but short range small weapons. The Tracking disruptor should be ran with a speed script. Against blaster and autocannon frigates you can swap to range script.

Due to the lower calibration of the Firetail you can't have 2 damage rigs on it, however having the Ambit extension rig will allow you to shoot out further than unbonussed autocannon ships (especially when combined with a range script).

Armour repper vs armour buffer.
If you run the armour repper for the 33s that cap will last running AB + repper you will get 580 armour points restored, this is slightly less than the extra HP that a 200mm plate will give you. You will however take more damage with a plate than the repper due to slower speed, further if you pulse the repper over a longer period that you can expect to hold the target down you will get more restored points than what the plate will give you.

Scram vs point.
I chose scram above point to shut down any MWD of a target so that your fleet lands as close to the target as possible, a cruiser moving at 1.5km/s with MWD can still put some distance between the warp-in and the time your fleet lands on grid.

Duel Prop is there to allow the speed tanking while giving the ability to close distance to engage the scram before the target warps off.

Ammo:

CN Foxfire Rockets: Thermal Damage tends to frequently be the resist hole when the obvious hole has been plugged.
Republic fleet Phased Plasma: Thermal Damage tends to frequently be the resist hole when the obvious hole has been plugged.
Barrage: Use for when you want the extra range

#32 Freerunner

Freerunner

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Awwww. The original post said open to anyone on the 8th roam (and so did yours *wag finger*).

#33 Othran

Othran

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Awwww. The original post said open to anyone on the 8th roam (and so did yours *wag finger*).

Caldak gave away a fair few Firetails last night.

I ended up running mine such that it finished before class. Partly because I wanted to make sure that the winner got his stuff before the first roam and partly to see who'd try to answer before class. I changed the terms of mine because it was patently unfair on people who hadn't done much PvP.

One of these is up for grabs tonight and you can take delivery at Stacmon :

[Rupture, Shield Ruppie]
Gyrostabilizer II
Gyrostabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Warp Disruptor II
Large Shield Extender II
Y-T8 Overcharged Hydrocarbon I Microwarpdrive

425mm AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet Phased Plasma M
Medium Energy Neutralizer II
Small Energy Neutralizer II

Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Warrior II x5

Not a firetail but it might just do you nicely for an Advanced-PvP roam - or use it tonight, assuming the server gets fixed and the flashies come to play. Sounds like someone screwed up something hardware related during the "storage maintenance" the other day.

I will ask Caldak to come up with a suitable question, open to all on the roam.
Today's word is :

#34 Sadamu

Sadamu

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

I'll give it a shot: [Republic Fleet Firetail, Skirmisher] Overdrive Injector System II Nanofiber Internal Structure II Damage Control II Catalyzed Cold-Gas I Arcjet Thrusters Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction Balmer Series Tracking Disruptor I, Tracking Speed Disruption Warp Disruptor II 125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S Core Probe Launcher I, Sisters Core Scanner Probe I 125mm Gatling AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S Small Ionic Field Projector I Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I Small Polycarbon Engine Housing I The working skirmisher theory (as I understand it so far) is find it fast, point it fast, and survive till the fleet gets there (hopefully fast). The guns are to kill drones, so it's small AC to track and I'd carry EMP to exploit their EM hole. I think it should be able to out-orbit anything 150mm or smaller.

BASIC-20110805 | WOLFPACKS-20110917 | COVOPS-20111119

Jeg er ikke sint, bare veldig veldig skuffet.

#35 Caldak

Caldak

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Contracted - AkJon Ferguson B)
John McGuirk
Contracted - Totshiessemann B)
Contracted - Freerunner B)
Contracted - Kalar Freno B)
Contracted - Vora B)
Contracted - Marvin B)
Contracted - Sadamu
B)

Firetail to each of you. Send Caldak a ingame email and I'll set the contract for you.

And I'll add the bonus of Second to Vora for ..... ( Any course for you mate and a place in it. )

If I have calculated correctly this fitting should get me an angular rate of ca. 0.2 rad/s at 20 km (no overheat), which makes it a speed tank as intended.
Medium turrets have either too slow tracking speeds or too small ranges, so the big sig should not be a problem when in orbit.
My regular Ares has comparable speed/agility numbers and AFAIK I was never hit by a turret when orbiting a prey. Tracking computers don't seem to be very widespread.

Anne Bonney, a notorious pirate in her own right, told her husband, Calico Jack Bonney, as he was captured by pirate hunters,
“if you'd have fought like a man you needn't hang like a dog”.

Done some class's